Developing a diamond inspired retail mall
MAFP appointed Gleeds to act as cost manager during construction of the 260,000m2, five star Almaza City Centre mall in Cairo.
Gleeds is developing the diamond-inspired design by controlling costs and ensuring it achieves its target of LEED® Silver certification.
One of the largest retail malls in the country
The Gleeds team is working closely with both local and international design teams to create one of the largest retail malls in Egypt that includes:
- Major anchor brand names such as Debenhams, Marks & Spencer and Carrefour
- A state-of-the-art 16-screen IMAX cinema complex
- Parking for over 4,000 cars
- Restaurants and cafés
class entertainment; Almaza has brought the first 4D cinema screens to Egypt and the first ski slope over 250m in size.
Almaza meaning ‘jewel’
The Almaza mall takes its name from the Arabic word for ‘jewel’. In Gleeds' role as cost managers we:
- Performed value engineering workshops in Egypt and the UK
- Benchmarked the project against similar on-going retail projects
- Acted as the interface between local and international consultants
- Helped reduce traffic congestion in the area
Almaza City Centre is part of a series of malls by retail and leisure business, Majid Al Futtaim, that also includes Mall of Egypt, Alexandria and Maadi City Centres.